The main work of the department is to structurally design and analyze semi-submersibles developed or modified by GVA.
We have depth knowledge and experience of analysis and design of all types of floating structures including ships, floating dry-docks and offshore vessels. Our experience also covers other areas of engineering including tanks for various types of fluids/gases, bridges, tower-structures, topside modules, and heavy equipment base frames. The department also provides engineering services for the maritime, offshore and other sectors.
The department is experienced with a variety of structural analysis. Our main structural finite element tools are:
- SESAM-80. General linear FE-analysis package with coupling to hydrostatic/hydrodynamic loads. Used mainly for analysis of floating structures and is well adapted for any kind of complicated analysis work. Developed by Veritas Sesam System, a subsidiary of Det Norske Veritas.
- SOLVIA-95. General linear/non-linear FE-analysis package. The non-linear capabilities of this system are well suited for analysis of structures with large deformations and material non-linearities. Solvia-95 (Developed by SOLVIA AB Sweden)
- MSC/Sesam PatranPre. General Pre/Post-processor.
- Pro/ENGINEER. Mainly used for modeling of difficult geometries, typical for cast node geometries.
For structural design also following tools are used:
- Nauticus 3D-Beam, beam analysis tool.
- Puls, code check buckling.
- Stipla, code check buckling.
- Colbeam, code check beams.
All the above tools are well known in the offshore engineering environment.
Additionally we work with several in-house developed programs for different kinds of design work.
All the above software runs in a PC environment.
Modeling work and design drawings is carried out using AutoCad or PMDS.